The Upper School, located on the Vaughn Road campus, prepares students in grades 9 through 12 to succeed in the most selective colleges and universities and, ultimately, to become productive citizens and lifelong learners. Involved teachers, challenging coursework and small classes support those goals, prompting students to stretch themselves, develop as leaders, and reach their true potential.
The success of Upper School students is proven year after year:
- 100% college placement, with all graduates attending a four-year college or university
- Advanced Placement (AP) success, with the vast majority of students scoring 3 or above on College Board exams, thus qualifying for college credit. (All AP students are required to take College Board exams.)
- National Merit honors: Each year, a number of our students earn National Merit Scholar honors as Finalists, Semifinalists and Commended Students. Some also receive as National Achievement honors as Finalists or Semifinalists.
- Cum Laude Society: MA has one of only three Cum Laude Society chapters in Alabama, which honors students with grade point averages in the top 20 percent of the class.
Complementing the core curriculum are a full spectrum of electives in art, music, drama, interpersonal relations and much more. Computer instruction includes courses in programming, presentation, web design and publications.
Special features of MA’s Upper School include:
- National and international travel opportunities for students each year, including trips to New York, Chicago, Italy, France and Spain
- Strong college counseling that places students in the college or university that suits them best
- Daily advisory, where small groups of students meet and check in with their advisory teacher
- “Coach classes,” held before and after school, that give students who need extra help or an accelerated pace the opportunity for one-on-one instruction