Home >
Alumni > Our History
page tools :
ContactQuicklinksCommunity Login
Montgomery Academy

Timeline & Past 50 Years

1958

A group of prominent Montgomery citizens begin discussions to form a new independent school.

January 1959

The Montgomery Academy's first board of directors is elected. The board consists of seventeen members including Chairman General James D. McIntyre, Caroline Sellers, Carl Bear, Henry Flinn, Sr., Judge John Goodwyn, Mrs. James M. Folmar, Holman Head, William Inge Hill, Sr., Dr. Brannon Hubbard, Jr., Walter Kennedy, Arthur Mead, Dr. Hugh MacGuire, Price McLemore, Colonel Marion Rushton, Charles Turner, Jr., and Robert Weil.

Winter 1959

More than one hundred students sign up to become part of the Academy's inaugural class consisting initially of grades one through nine.

Spring 1959

The Montgomery Academy becomes incorporated March 15, 1959.

The board of directors purchases the old Governor's Mansion at 706 South Perry Street as a temporary first home for the new school.

June 1959

Gustavus Orum Hamner becomes the Academy's first headmaster.

September 1959

The Montgomery Academy's first convocation takes place at Huntington College to begin the new school year.

1960

The first edition of The Academy Eagle is published.

1961

The Academy's first fundraising campaign begins to raise money for new buildings.

1962

Mr. and Mrs. William Inge Hill, Sr. donate seventeen acres of tranquil cow pasture on Vaughn Road for the Academy's permanent home.

November 1962

Construction begins for the new Vaughn Road campus to include Blount Hall and Hill Hall.

September 1963

More than 183 students arrive for the first day of school at the new Vaughn Road campus.

1964

The boys' basketball team begins competing.

Mead Hall, Rushton Library and Gallery, and the McIntyre Science Laboratories are added to the Vaughn Road campus.

1965

The Montgomery Academy becomes accredited by Alabama's State Department of Education.

The school's new gymnasium, called the Carl W. Bear Field House, opens.

The Academy wins the statewide "Test Your Best" competition, the school's first state championship.

1966

The Academy joins the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

The first senior class graduates from the Academy.

The first edition of the Torch & Key is published.

1967

The Academy becomes a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.

1968

Jim Adams becomes the Academy's second headmaster.

September 1969

The school's first football team begins competing.

Spring 1971

Girls' tennis wins its first state championship title.

Fall 1972

The Academy's first debate team is formed.

Fall 1973

Wade Segrest becomes the Academy's third headmaster.

September 1974

A new kindergarten program is added.

1975

Mead Hall undergoes an enclosure on its east end creating new classrooms for fifth and sixth graders.

1981

The boys' baseball team wins its first state champion-ship title.

January 1984

The Academy's first long-range plan is released, calling for new construction projects and the expansion of enrollment to eight hundred within ten years without compromising the current admissions standards.

Fall 1985

Robin Byrd becomes the Academy's fourth headmaster.

1986

The school's first community service program begins.

The girls' volleyball team wins its first state champion-ship title.

Fall 1987

The football team wins its first state championship title.

Fall 1988

The new Lower School building opens on Perry Hill Road.

July 1991

Emerson Johnson becomes the Academy's fifth headmaster.

1992

The "Funding our Future" campaign is launched.

Ann Boozer becomes the first female athletic director at an Alabama independent school.

1995

The forensics team wins its first state championship title.

May 1995

The Garzon Library is dedicated.

June 1995

McLemore Tennis Center opens. (However, the original two tennis courts were made possible though the generosity of Robbins and Ernestine Taylor in the early 1970s).

1996

A second gym is added to the school's athletic facilities creating additional practice space, new weight training areas and new coaches' offices.

1997

The boys' tennis team wins its first state championship title.

The "Building the Best" fundraising campaign is launched.

1999

The Academy purchases twenty-one acres on the north side of Vaughn Road for future expansion projects.

The girls' basketball team wins its first state championship title.

August 2000

The new Mary Katherine Archibald Blount Upper School building opens at the Vaughn Road campus.

Spring 2001

New athletic fields, including the Bowman Field baseball complex, the Hutchinson Field soccer facility, and a new softball field are completed on the north side of Vaughn Road.

Girls' soccer team wins its first state championship title.

July 2001

Archibald Douglas becomes the Academy's sixth headmaster.

A walking bridge opens, connecting the Vaughn Road campus with athletic fields and parking area.

2002

Boys' cross-country team wins its first state championship title.

2003

A new strategic plan is released to guide the Academy into the following six years.

Boys' golf team wins first state championship title.

2006

The "Investing in Excellence" fundraising campaign is launched.

Girls' track and field team wins its first state championship title.

Girls' cross-country team wins its first state championship title.

2008

New theater is constructed, Hill Hall undergoes dining renovation, the Cummings Wing of Mead Hall is improved to provide enhanced and up-to-date classroom space, an Upper School Commons is added to the Mary Katherine Archibald Blount Upper School Building, and a new football concession stand is built at the north end of McLemore Field.
New track facility is built and new playgrounds are added at the Lower School campus.

 

 


3240 Vaughn Rd - Montgomery, Ala. 36106 (334) 272-8210  
Lower School - 1550 Perry Hill Road - Montgomery, Ala. 36106 (334) 272-8210  Contact Us
You Tube Twitter Facebook
email page print page large type small type
powered by finalsite