The Montgomery Academy faculty and staff play a critical role in providing students with a rigorous curriculum, caring community, and an overall atmosphere conducive to inspiring our bright students to lead brilliant lives. We seek talented and motivated teachers and staff who meet a high standard of professional and personal excellence in their work. We offer a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, and an opportunity to help our students in their pursuit of excellence.
Along with subject expertise, our faculty and staff have a genuine concern for students, use effective communication skills, and embrace a creative and enthusiastic approach to 21st century learning. Dedication to professional growth is considered an important qualification for all teaching applicants.
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer, and it is our policy not to discriminate and to comply with all state and federal laws.
Summary of the Position: The Montgomery Academy has historically considered technology to be an integral part of a well-rounded approach to student learning. Not only do we integrate technology into the classroom with 1:1 iPads in grades 5-12, but we also offer specific courses in technology. Courses offered over the past few years have included: Digital Literacies (intro level course), Engineering, Digital Filmmaking, Programming, Web Design and Design & Innovation.
With this new position, we are seeking to bolster the computer science and STEM curriculum in the Middle & Upper Schools. This teacher will be responsible for teaching computer science & STEM classes in grades 6-12.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach 5 sections each semester of Computer Science or STEM-related classes in the Middle & Upper Schools at the introductory or enrichment level, intermediate level and at the advanced level. Classes may include:
- 7th & 8th Grade STEM LAB (Semester Course)
- Robotics (Semester Course)
- Intro to Programming (Semester Course)
- Intro to Engineering (Semester Course)
- AP Computer Science Principles (Yearlong Course)
- AP Computer Science A (Yearlong Course)
- Prepare course syllabi that will be in accordance with the course description expectations for AP Computer Science Principles and AP Computer Science A
- Maintain course websites for each course
- Serve as an advisor for a group of Middle School or Upper School Students
- A Master's Degree (preferred) or Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
- Experience teaching computer science at all experience levels
- Comfort in teaching different programming languages (Java, Python, HTML5, Ruby, Swift)
- Wide understanding of implementing effective technology integration in grades 6-12
- Comfort with the integration of Computer Science into a range of other curricular areas including STEM topics.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Desire to integrate programming into robotics and other STEM-related activities
- Creative, enthusiastic and growth-mindset approach to 21st century learning
- Has a passion for personal professional development
- Desire to work with children in grades 6-12 and understanding their developmental differences.
- Has a calm, patient and professional demeanor
- Commitment to holistic child development
Summary of the Position: The Montgomery Academy, an independent K-12 day school in Montgomery, Alabama, is seeking a full-time Director of College Advising to lead the College Advising Office. The Director will work with the Associate Director of College Advising and the College Advising Assistant to help each of our students find the best fit for the continuation of their academic careers in a college or university.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with students and their families to guide them through the research, application, selection and decision-making involved in the college admission process
- Serving as a liaison between The Montgomery Academy and colleges/universities around the country
- Supporting MA students in the admission process through writing individualized letters of recommendation, completing all required forms and serving as an advocate for MA students to colleges and universities
- Maintaining a membership and active involvement in relevant national or regional organizations such as NACAC and SACAC
- Managing the College Advising Office by maintaining its budget and coordinating the work of the Associate Director and the College Advising Assistant
- At least three to five years of leadership experience in independent school college admissions or in college/university admissions
- Strong knowledge of and experience with the selective college admission process
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Familiarity and comfort with relevant technology, like Naviance
For more information regarding job openings, please contact John McWilliams at (334) 273-7150 or email@example.com
ABOUT THE CITY OF MONTGOMERY
Montgomery, Alabama is a great place to live, work and play. Montgomery and the River Region offer an unequaled quality of life.
Montgomery is a city rich in history, yet clearly focused on the future. Once the capital of the Confederacy, Montgomery grew to become the center of the Civil Rights Movement. Today, we are more than just the capital of Alabama-we are the epitome of economic prosperity. We enjoy being the showplace for southern hospitality, beautiful weather, and high-tech jobs.
Our city is filled with rich diversity and cultural landmarks such as the Hank Williams Museum, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Rosa Parks Museum, First White House of the Confederacy, Civil Rights Memorial and much more. Montgomery is the home of Maxwell/Gunter Air Force Bases, Hyundai Motors Manufacturing Alabama and Biscuits Baseball. Our downtown redevelopment is bringing new life and energy into an area of historic significance.